Haagen-Dazs TRIO Vanilla Blackberry Chocolate

Out of all new flavors and products this year, I'm was most anticipating the Haagen-Dazs TRIOs. Concept-wise they seem like the perfect new product: different enough to stand out from other new products, unique to the market, but not too gimmicky and still recognizably ice cream.

Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Blackberry Chocolate TRIO, crispy Belgian chocolate, vanilla and blackberry ice cream, is the only fruity flavor in the line up.



Do you remember those Creme Savers candies? I don't think they ever had a blackberry flavor, but if they did, the combination of the vanilla and blackberry ice creams would taste EXACTLY like it. It's less tart, sweeter, and less berry-intensive than a fresh berries-and-cream flavor. The vanilla isn't necessarily a distinct flavor, but it definitely mellows the blackberry more than a straight sweet cream ice cream would. While the flavor was strong in the first bite, it unfortunately faded as I ate more of the ice cream. Full disclosure, I had a pretty bad cold when I tried this ice cream, so I'll definitely re-purchase this flavor to see if the fading was due to my cold, but since I could taste it strongly at first I don't think that was the case.


The Belgian chocolate is the real star of the show.  There are incredibly thin layers of chocolate throughout the pint that are easy to break with your spoon and don't turn into dangerous daggers of chocolate. Perfect! There's a Talenti flavor (I think it is Double Dark Chocolate) that has these tiny, crunchy Belgian chocolate chips that are basically the perfect mix-ins. The Haagen-Dazs Belgian chocolate is the same thing, but in a sheet.


I'm giving this particular flavor 3/4 cones because of the flavor-fading, but I wouldn't be surprised if this line contained one or two four-coners!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd