Lick Ice Cream, Indianapolis

This past weekend Madeline ran a lickety split fast half marathon and I was lucky enough to run it with her. To be precise, her time was 1:40:37! My sister is cooler than your sister. (Madeline's note: my sister is cooler and faster than your sister, her half PR is 1:23:52!) We ran the half marathon in Indianapolis, which is a city neither of us had really visited before. The day before the race we obviously checked out some of the best ice cream in the city. Lick was started in 2010 by two sisters, and they call themselves the "anti-Ben & Jerry's."

Lick was in the middle of a weird industrial complex/studio space building down a long windy hallway.


They sell mostly at farmers markets and make funky, unique, local, and dare I say, artisanal flavors? They also have a small brick and mortar store front attached to where they produce the ice cream, which is where we tried their flavors on Friday.

Lick had nifty-neato carpet for super hip picture taking.


They only had four flavor available, but it seemed like they normally have a few more. It sounded like they were trying to clear out some of the older flavors before the farmers markets on Saturday. I tried Caramel and Peaches. But before I talk about the flavor of this ice cream, I want to talk about the texture. It was interesting. It wasn't bad, but I don't think I've had anything like it. It was crumbly, but not brittle, and still kind of creamy? I'm not totally sure I loved it. It was definitely interesting, and I would want to try it again before making a final decision.



Flavor-wise, this ice cream tasted more like caramel than peaches. My mom tried a bite and said it tasted like a peach tart, and I agree. A dark, complex caramel was the dominant taste and there were peachy/fruity undertones. I enjoyed it, but would have liked it more if there were some peach chunks to give little bursts of extra peachy flavor. Or I would recommend scooping this flavor with a side of fresh peaches. šŸ¦šŸ¦.5/4 cones!!

Our mom tried the grape flavor, and it was also super yummy.

I (Madeline) got Gingersnap Lemon Curd in a cone.  I NEVER get new flavors in cones because eating ice cream out of a cone is SO STRESSFUL. What if your ice cream drips everywhere, or worse, falls on the ground?! My dad got a cone, and the owner told us they were freshly made, so I made an exception this one time, and boy am I glad I did!  This was the best ice cream cone I've ever had.  It was thick but delicately crunchy and toasted/waffle-ironed to perfection.  It had a deep buttery flavor as well as strong hints of sweet vanilla.  I give the cone šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦/4 cones.  Is it weird to rate an ice cream cone? 
Weird hallways are great for dancing with ice cream.

The ice cream itself was also awesome.  As Lizzy mentioned, the texture was a bit dry but not so much that it detracted from the experience.  The lemon curd base was the star of the show and the gingersnap cookies popped in every now and then to add some pizzaz to the flavor.  If you don't know, lemon curd is basically lemon juice, sugar, and butter thickened on the stove.  The cooking process deepens the flavors (just like when making caramel).  The lemon curd ice cream was lightly lemon-flavored.  It was almost like a buttery sweet cream with just enough lemon to give it some brightness.


The gingersnap cookies were soft but not doughy and absorbed into the base a bit.  Gingersnap cookies are generally hard and crunchy, but I liked the choice to go with a softer cookie. I got one about every third bite, but the pieces were quite large. The ginger was intense but not spicy, adding a stronger flavor to the mild base.

I give Ginger Snap Lemon Curd šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦.5/4 cones!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd