Jeni's Goat Cheese with Red Cherries

If Lizzy and I ever opened an ice cream shop, we would be well-covered in terms of flavor variety.  Lizzy is a fan of the 'kid' flavors packed with mix-ins and chocolate ridiculousness, and I am a fan of the weirdest possible flavor combinations you can put into ice creams.

We would definitely categorize Jeni's Goat Cheese with Red Cherries as a 'Madeline flavor.' While goat cheese and cherries isn't necessarily a weird flavor combination, it's certainly not often seen in ice cream form.  The pint has

Mackenzie Creamery goat cheese and roasted, sweet-tart, bright-red cherries. Mouthwatering and rich, it's like a scoopable cherry cheesecake.



Confession. Jeni's became popular just before the current ice cream boom (I think we're in an ice cream boom right now, come at me) and I didn't get it. There were only two flavors available at my grocery store, and I thought the one I tried, Darkest Chocolate, was dry and weird and way too expensive. Also, it was super popular with a certain subset of upper-middle class white girls who today are known as 'basic.' Let's just say that I wasn't a huge fan of basics in high school and college.  I'm on board the Jeni's flavor train now as they have consistently good bases and mix-ins as well as truly unique flavors.


I think this was a sweet cream base with a goat cheese swirl rather than a goat cheese base.  As usual, Jeni's sweet cream base is absolutely stellar; a not too sweet, not too milky, not too bland, just a perfect canvas for everything else going into the ice cream.


I'll admit, my first bite of the goat cheese was overwhelming.  I knew what to expect, and yet I was still shocked. Apparently good goat cheese ice cream and a good horror movie have something in common. If you looked up tangy in the dictionary, you would find a sample of Mackenzie Creamery's goat cheese.  Also, best dictionary ever!


The cherries came mainly in the form of a thick mashed-cherry swirl with a few cherry pieces thrown in.  The roasted cherries had a deeper flavor than fresh cherries, but I found myself wishing for a brighter, juicier mix-in to complement the goat cheese.

Overall, this flavor was very savory and I found myself wanting something to add just a touch more sweetness, but I still give it 🍦🍦🍦/4 cones.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd