Coolhaus Milkshake & Fries

Prepare your body and soul for SO MANY MOAR Coolhaus reviews! Today I have Milkshake & Fries, salted Tahitian vanilla bean ice cream with shoestring french fries and milk chocolate malt balls.

Confession. I have never been a fan of dipping french fries in milkshake. I don't dislike it, I just don't get it. Intellectually, I get why people like the hot/cold sweet/salty combination, but to me it just tastes like a fry .... and some milkshake. The total is not more than the sum of its parts. Despite, this I think french fries in ice cream could work really well.

I recently reviewed Coolhaus' salted Tahitian vanilla bean base in my review of Campfire S'mores. It's nearly perfect. It's a strong but not overpowering vanilla flavor and the salt helps to emphasize the sweetness of the base.



In that review, I also brought up Coolhaus' propensity towards smaller mix-ins meant to blend with the base, as opposed to Ben and Jerry's-style chunktastic mix-ins. This really hurt them here. The fries were shoestring style, but the pieces were so small that they didn't have much crunch, and I could hardly taste them over the base.

Pay attention Halotop! THIS is how you do snarky ice cream lid!
The malted milk balls were the most frustrating part of this flavor. Rather than whole or half malted milk balls, Coolhaus again went with small pieces. Like the fries, these mainly blended into the base. Every once in a while, I got a bigger chunk of malt ball, and I got a lovely taste of malt. This is what the whole flavor needs! These occasional malt blasts really showed the potential of this flavor. A stronger malt flavor with the crispy crunch of a salty french fry would have been phenomenal.


I rate this šŸ¦šŸ¦/4. (Our rating system is below.) I get the tendency toward smaller mix-ins for ice cream sandwiches, but for a pint I wish Coolhaus would experiment with some bigger chunks!

šŸ¦ - You couldn't pay me to eat this again
šŸ¦šŸ¦ - I would eat this again, but not buy it
šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦ - I would buy this again
šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦- I need this in my apocalypse bunker

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd