Coolhaus Campfire S'Mores

S'mores is the flavor of summer! At the beginning of May I raced (and won! - it was a very small race) a 10K in White Bear Lake, a northern suburb/exurb of Minneapolis. As I was on my way home, I spotted Fresh Thyme Farmer's Market. A new location just opened up very close to the University of Minnesota, and I'd been meaning to go, especially after I heard from David at David's Ice Cream Reviews that they carry Coolhaus!

He was not kidding! They had so many flavors! I limited myself to a few pints and a few ice cream sandwiches, but made sure to pick up the summery-sounding Campfire S'mores - Salted Tahitian vanilla bean ice cream, graham cracker cookie butter marshmallow swirl, dark chocolate squares.



Since I haven't reviewed much Coolhaus in the past, I want to get something out right up front: I didn't like this flavor that much, but that doesn't reflect my opinions on Coolhaus as a brand. Their ice cream sandwiches are great and they have some absolutely amazing flavors. I don't want one review to turn you off of trying the brand.

First the good bits. The Tahitian vanilla base is superb. I believe Coolhaus started exclusively with ice cream sandwiches, which is reflected in the execution of their vanilla base.  To stand up to the flavor and texture of a cookie, a vanilla ice cream needs to have a strong flavor without tasting fake or like alcohol from vanilla extract. The base here checks all of those boxes. The vanilla flavor is quite strong, but it's a natural vanilla. We don't typically think of vanilla as a deep or dark flavor, but the vanilla here was warm and complex enough I would almost describe it as deep. It had hints of floral notes to lighten things up. The saltiness wasn't a separate element, but instead served to showcase and intensify the vanilla flavor and sweetness of the base.


Now the not so good bits. Coolhaus' philosophy on mix-ins seems to be the exact opposite of Ben and Jerry's.  Their mix-ins are typically smaller and designed to blend with the base to create a single ice cream experience. This works very well in some flavors (for example, Dirty Mint Chip) but in Campfire S'mores, the mix-ins were subsumed by the base. A 'graham cracker cookie butter marshmallow swirl' sounds PHENOMENAL, but it fell flat. I don't think my pint had much swirl, and the swirl I did taste didn't have a particularly strong flavor.

The chocolate squares were nice, but with the lack of impact from the graham swirl, this was basically and vanilla ice cream with chocolate mix-ins. Meh.

I'm rating this šŸ¦šŸ¦/4.

Our rating system:
šŸ¦ - You couldn't pay me to eat this again
šŸ¦šŸ¦ - I would eat this again, but not buy it
šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦ - I would buy this again
šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦- I need this in my apocalypse bunker

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd