New-to-Me Brand Alert! Til the Cows Come Home: A Kick in the Peanut Butter

Excitement! Excitement! For those of you who are #blessed enough to live with HyVee's in your area, you probably noticed a while back that a bunch of new ice cream popped up on their shelves! This is because HyVee has started producing their own ice cream brands. In fact I think there are three new HyVee brands. Til the Cows Come Home is the priciest brand, which comes in pints, It's Your Churn is premium ice cream which comes in 1.5 quart containers, and We All Scream comes in 4 quart pails. And seeing as Madeline does not live near a HyVee it is my job to let you all know how these new(-ish) flavors are!



The first flavor I decided to try was A Kick in the Peanut Butter. All of the Til the Cows Come Home flavors have puns in their names. This flavor is described as Chocolate ice cream with peanut butter ribbon, brownies and peanut butter candy cups.

The chocolate base of this flavor was incredibly milky and sweet. My first bite was only swirl, and I was initially worried that this flavor would get too sweet too quickly. And while the base was milky and sweet, it also still had a rather strong cocoa flavor to it. In addition, the peanut butter ribbon was surprisingly salty! There was a hint of sweetness, but they really went for it with the salty, nutty flavor in the peanut butter ribbon. The ribbon was also smooth and solid, as opposed to liquidy, but not quite crunchy either. I think it was the best part of this flavor.



The peanut butter candy cups were pretty standard. They had about the same circumference as pennies. The chocolate was a milk chocolate and the peanut butter inside of them was sweeter than the ribbon. Last, and definitely least, are the brownies. When I ate this ice cream, I had forgotten about the brownies listed in the description. I also was watching TV while eating this flavor, so not really paying attention to what I was eating. So yes I was being a bad ice cream blogger, but this ended up being quite telling. Whenever I got a brownie, I couldn't tell what it was. They were very small. Their texture was super weird. They were soft and disintegrated quickly in my mouth, but at the same time, they were almost chewy. Their chocolate flavor was not super strong, either. For a while I thought the ends of the peanut butter ribbon didn't solidify (or get flavor) like the middles, and that's what I was eating. But when I looked at the description again, I realized, nope, those were just very sad brownies.



All in all, it seems like Til the Cows Come Home is going for a vibe kind of like Ben & Jerry's. They have fun flavors! With funny names! And lots of mix-ins! But if your main schtick is going to be crazy mix-ins, they have got to be good mix-ins. I'm definitely giving this brand another try, because there is definitely potential here. The good parts were good, but the bad parts were just quite bad. šŸ¦šŸ¦/4 cones.

Comments

  1. It's not the mix-ins that's wrong with this ice cream. It's the texture you get from carob bean gum, guar gum, and carrageenan. Ever since Breyers sold their soul to the devil, ice cream in general has gone to shit. Thank god for Turkey Hill Natural and Haagen-Dazs - they carry the torch for brands you can find at the grocery store. And even though Ben and Jerry's does have the carrageenan, they manage to keep it from having a consistency closer to rubber than ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bruster's Real Ice Cream Emory Road in Knoxville, TN. Check out our location and hours, and latest menu with photos and reviews.

    Premium Ice Cream Flavors

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why Hy-Vee bothered creating this overly sugary, overly thickened product. Seems like 50% of the offering are cookie/cookie dough, fudge, and/or brownies. Out side of that are peanut butter and s'more. What's the target demographic? Nineteen year old girls? I would like to try the chocolate and the vanilla, but I can't, because my four local HyVees don't ever stock them. Color me not impressed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd