Sanders Fine Chocolatiers Bumpy Cake

Sometimes you purchase an ice cream exclusively for the name.  Well, maybe you don't, but I certainly do.  Case in point, I bought Cedar Crest Pirate's Bounty because I thought the name was Pirate's Booty and Cedar Crest was making a pun about butts.

Tina Belcher is my spirit animal.
The same thing happened with Sanders Fine Chocolatiers Bumpy Cake.  No reference to butts this time, but the fact that a type of cake is called 'Bumpy Cake' really tickled my funny bone and I knew I would be taking home a container.

I have never heard of Bumpy Cake so I did some sleuthing.  Per Wikipedia, Bumpy Cake is chocolate cake with thick ridges of buttercream frosting covered in chocolate ganache invented by Fred Sanders (founder of Sanders Confectionery) in 1913.  If Fred Sanders wasn't dead, I think he and I would get along very well.  THICK RIDGES OF BUTTERCREAM FROSTING.

Sauce: http://www.sanderscandy.com/Chocolate-Fudge-Bumpy-Cake-p/50121.htm
The ice cream version of Bumpy Cake is described as

Chocolate fudge cake pieces and buttercream ice cream swirled with chocolate ganache.



So, buttercream ice cream.  More people need to get on this train.  It's a great 'neutral' base option that's has a slightly less distinctive flavor than vanilla and slightly more distinctive flavor than sweet cream.  The base definitely had the distinctive buttery richness and flavor of buttercream frosting, but a denser, thicker texture would have perfected the illusion of eating a bowl of chilled buttercream frosting.  Not that I've ever fantasized about that or anything.


The mix-ins were also quite good although I enjoyed the chocolate ganache slightly more than I enjoyed the cake pieces.  With the ganache, Sanders clearly did not skimp out and decide to simply go with a fudge sauce and call it a ganache.  It had a much thicker and more solid texture than a fudge sauce and tasted more chocolatey (as opposed to fudgey).


The cake pieces were good, but most of them dissolved somewhat into the ice cream making them hard to distinguish from the base.  When I did get a distinct piece, I thought the chewiness and less intense fudge flavor was a nice contrast to the chocolate ganache.

I really enjoyed this flavor, and I think the buttercream base added a nice touch and elevated a flavor that otherwise would be a pretty standard base-and-fudge combo.  I give this 🍦🍦🍦/4 cones!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd