Talenti Southern Butter Pecan

Lizzy mentioned in her previous post that when she finishes one ice cream 'challenge' (she recently tried all the flavors from New Orleans Ice Cream Company) she feels more ice cream-related existential angst than usual, and oh my god, I feel that SO hard.  Late summer is a bit of an ice cream dead zone - I've tried all of the new-for-2016 flavors as well as all of the summer flavors, but at the time of purchasing this pint, fall flavors hadn't hit the shelves yet.  On a recent trip to Target, my every movement imbued with existential angst, I grabbed a pint of Talenti Southern Butter Pecan.

I think of Butter Pecan as one of the 'classic' ice cream flavors, and Talenti's version is always available at both my local Target and local grocery store, so I'm pretty surprised and disappointed that it took me this long to try it.  Talenti's brilliant flavor description author has this to say:

Thank you, South, for deciding to roast your pecans in butter.  We did just that and added a dulce de leche swirl to this nutty gelato.  Best enjoyed on a rocking chair, on a porch, with a ceiling fan.


I could smell the butter from the second I opened the lid.  Have you ever had that really strong laugh/cry reaction to something where you laugh uncontrollably like a crazy person, but it's right on the edge of violent sobbing?  Yeah, the gelato smelled so strongly of butter that it induced this reaction in me. (This is a good thing.)  I looked at the ingredients half expecting the second or third one to be butter, but it's not listed at all! The only butter comes from the pecans and the dulce de leche.  The use of brown sugar and molasses probably added an illusion of butter, giving the ice cream some deeper notes.


The base had your standard, wonderful smooth and dense Talenti texture.  The dulche de leche swirl was slightly thicker than the base but there was more of a taste contrast than a texture contrast.  It was very buttery but not overly sweet or rich so it wasn't overwhelming.


The pecans were broken up into medium-sized chunks and I got a chunk about every other bite.  The nuts gave Southern Butter Pecan a really nice flavor profile.  It started off very buttery and ended with a sweet, nutty note from the pecans.  I could have done with a few more pecans and a slightly more intense pecan flavor.

This was nearly perfect: šŸ¦šŸ¦šŸ¦.5/4!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd