Pre Marathon Ice Cream: Serendipity Homemade Ice Cream Gooey Butter Cake and White Chocolate

A few days before I raced the Go! St. Louis Marathon I raised quite the social media hubbub by asking for suggestions on what ice cream I should eat the day before. The suggestions were FroYo (kinda lame because that's not ice cream), Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams (not actually open in St. Louis yet), Clementine's Ice Cream (also not actually open yet), Fritz's Frozen Custard (also not ice cream but a more than acceptable suggestion), and Mr. Wizard's Frozen Custard. I also had two flavor suggestions, peanut butter dark chocolate and coffee. I ended up being a jerk (sorta sorry but not really) and not really taking any of those suggestions. A friend texted me her suggestion, instead of commenting on the post, which was Serendipity Homemade Ice Cream.

I ended up staying at my parents' house that weekend, instead of my boyfriend's, because he got really sick. I had to go to the marathon expo to pick up my bib, and Serendipity was right on the way from my parents' house to the expo.

When my parents and I got there I was overwhelmed by the flavor choices. Coffee, salty caramel, White Chocolate, Gooey Butter Cake, and a bunch more. I love that every St. Louis ice cream place has or has had a gooey butter cake flavor, and I am interested to see how each shop interprets the desert, so I definitely got that one. I have also been waiting on white chocolate to have it's dessert moment, so my second flavor was white chocolate.



First things first, go to Serendipity hungry. I forgot how large their regular sized scoops are. I got one regular sized scoop of each flavor. When the guy handed me my cup, but gut sank and I kind of freaked about eating that much ice cream the day before my marathon, even if it was 2PM. But then I remember I am a champion and the sole reason I am a champion is ice cream so I stopped worrying.

Oh boy that is a lot of ice cream


I got the Gooey Butter Cake flavor on top, so I will start there. It was definitely heavier on the battery/cakey flavor profile than the butter flavor. I would have preferred the butter flavor to be more prominent. There were also little pieces of gooey butter something. It wasn't gooey butter cake and it wasn't gooey butter cookies (those are usually soft). It also wasn't really gooey. However, this was where I found the butter flavor more. These little guys were super crunchy and a bit smaller than a penny. Unfortunately there weren't many of them in this ice cream. This ice cream just needed one more little something to really be amazing. Maybe a swirl, maybe more chunks, something. If Jilly's spin on this dessert, that Madeline and I reviewed here, was on the busy end of the spectrum, this version was on the other.

On the right hand side of the cup is the gooey butter chunk o' something.


Next the White Chocolate. Okay, rule #28 of ice cream reviewing. When going to a scoop shop, do not get two flavors that are the exact same color unless you get them in different cups. Woops. We ate outside, and it was kind of a warm afternoon. My ice cream got a bit melty and by the time I was getting to the end of the Gooey Butter Cake, it had started to melt into the White Chocolate and it was tough to tell them apart. The White Chocolate was really good and tasted like white chocolate. I almost want to say it could have had a stronger flavor, but I don't know if that is really possible with a white chocolate ice cream.



A couple of other notes. The white chocolate would have paired better with a fruit or chocolate or coffee ice cream or something. Also Serendipity's texture is pretty good. It is really creamy and definitely hard ice cream, but it also has a decent amount of air in it. This makes it easy to eat and because of this it gets super frothy and yummy when it melts.

As for how this ice cream helped, or didn't, me in my marathon. First eating this in the early afternoon was key. Second, the large amount was perfect. My aunt and uncle suggested having a larger lunch and a lighter dinner so I would have plenty of fuel, but not an upset stomach. This ice cream was a critical part of my large lunch. Though I have to say I probably should have said the salted caramel flavor. My foot cramped up in the last few miles and I think a bit more salt would have helped.

Oh yeah I also ran 2:57:04 and got 2nd place over all women's! Thanks Serendipity for your help with that!! XP

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd