Homemade Ice Cream at Royal Orchid Thai

Kyle and I have gone to Royal Orchid Thai several times. It's just north of Northeast Minneapolis, so maybe a bit out of the way, but definitely worth the trip. On our first trip, I somehow missed the inclusion of HOMEMADE ICE CREAM on the dessert menu. That's right, homemade ice cream. On our second trip, I got a scoop of mango and a scoop of coconut, the two flavors available that day.

I'm going to say right off the bat that you KNOW homemade ice cream is going to be fantastic and rated 🍦🍦🍦🍦/4 no matter what. Now that that's out of the way, it's on to the review!

Each scoop was on the small side of medium, and I think I paid about $4, which seems pretty fair for dessert at a restaurant. The mango ice cream was really interesting. It definitely had a pure, sweet mango flavor, but it was softer or less intense than other mango ice creams I've had, letting the fresh milk and cream of the base stand out. It might seem like a less strong flavor would make for poorer quality ice cream, but sometimes mango flavor can be really overwhelming, so I really appreciated this more delicate take on the flavor.


The coconut ice cream was also lighter in flavor. With a sub-par base this wouldn't have been good, but with a fresh, homemade base it was as if the coconut was stepping back to share the stage with the base. If I'm good at anything, I'm good at taking a metaphor several steps too far, so I must say that the real star of the show, as far as the coconut ice cream goes, were the toasted coconut shavings. These bad boys were big, thick, and perfectly shattery-crunchy. These are no out-of-the-bag coconut shavings.

While the homemade ice cream makes Royal Orchid worth a trip for desserts alone, the food is also great, and since you're already there, you may as well have dinner too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd