Sanders Lemon Twis-Tea

Hooray for the Upper Midwest! Sanders Fine Chocolatiers is a Michigan-based company. Their ice cream is available in scoop shops - located mostly near Detroit with one shop on Mackinac Island - and several retail locations. On a recent trip to Tim and Tom's Speedy Market I picked up a container of Lemon Twis-Tea, refreshing lemon and green tea flavored ice cream with candy lemon bits.

I laughed a little when I saw the word 'refreshing' in the description. I don't usually think of ice cream as refreshing. It always makes me too thirsty. If I want something refreshing I go for a fruity sorbet. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. This ice cream was surprisingly refreshing. I would go so far as to call it the perfect summer ice cream.

I love the vintage-y packaging design!

The base was lightly flavored, but this actually worked to the ice cream's advantage. Many lemon ice creams either go for a sweet or strong lemon flavor to mimic a lemon bar, but Sanders went with a mole delicate lemon flavor that brings to mind lemonade or lemon water. I didn't explicitly taste the green tea flavor of the base, but could tell that this wasn't a plain lemon ice cream. I think the green tea gave the base some depth and added to the ~refreshing~ aspect of this ice cream.


The lemon candy mix-ins were tiny, crunchy shards. There were many of them and they were well-distributed throughout the pint. The texture reminded me of candy melts - crunchy but not brittle and just a tad chalky. The chalkiness didn't bother me since it was balanced by the creamy base. These had a stronger, sweeter lemon flavor than the base and added a nice punch of flavor.

If you can get your hands on this, I highly suggest it for a hot summer day! 🍦🍦🍦.5/4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd