Blue Bunny Limited Edition Cookie Butter

I'm calling it now. Cookie Butter is the new Salted Caramel. They both started out as rarer, fancier flavors but quickly saturated the ice cream, not to mention the dessert, market to the point where I'm just starting to get a tad sick of it. Just wait, next year Starbucks will release a holiday Cookie Butter latte and frappuccino. While I still love cookie butter (and salted caramel, for that matter), the glut of cookie butter products on the market now means I can be choosy about my cookie butter ice cream.

Blue Bunny's limited edition flavors are typically superb, so I decided to try Cookie Butter, their latest limited edition flavor described as 'Speculoos cookie flavored ice cream. Cinnamon graham and speculoos caramel swirls. Speculoos cookie dough chunks.'


I would almost describe this as a cinnamon caramel ice cream instead of a cookie butter ice cream. In general, it's pretty hard to capture a 'cookie' or other carby-flavor as a base, so it's natural for a speculoos base to rely on the spices to convey the flavor. Speculoos derives its signature flavor from a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, cardamom or some subset of those spices; however, I could only detect cinnamon in Blue Bunny's base. The base was quite good, it just didn't seem like a speculoos base to me.

The speculoos caramel and cinnamon graham swirls were both tasty and added a bit more spice to the base, but I think Blue Bunny should have gone with one swirl instead of two. With two swirls, I didn't feel like I got enough of either and wanted more of both. Also, while I liked the graham, it felt very off message. Focus on one cookie per flavor!


The speculoos cookie dough chunks could have been better. Their flavor was spot on speculoos, but the texture was off. They certainly didn't have the soft texture of a cookie dough and neither did they have the delicate, buttery crisp of a baked speculoos cookie. Instead they had a hard, dense, stale texture.

I'm typically a huge fan of Blue Bunny's limited edition releases, but Cookie Butter fell way short of my expectations. šŸ¦šŸ¦/4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd