Sweet Me Creamery Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler

Rhubarb and strawberry rhubarb are two of my favorite summer flavors. Rhubarb is getting more popular, particularly in the ice cream world, but I wish it would catch on with basic white girls like pumpkin spice has so there would be just as many rhubarb treats in the summer as there are pumpkin spice products in the fall. Also, HOW IS IT ALREADY MORE THAN A WEEK INTO AUGUST!?

Sweet Me Creamery Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler is vanilla bean ice cream with a strawberry rhubarb swirl and big chunks of cobbler topping. I'll talk separately about the idea and the execution of this flavor.

I love Sweet Me's look

The idea. There aren't too many rhubarb ice creams out there, but I can't think of any others that use a vanilla or vanilla bean base. This is an attempt to capture the flavor of strawberry-rhubarb pie or cobbler a la mode, which I think is a great idea. I mean, the invention of pie a la mode (in Duluth, MN no less!) is basically the pinnacle of American cultural achievements. Kudos to Sweet Me for taking this route.

Pretty great opening shot!

The execution. There was not enough rhubarb flavor. This would have been a stellar Strawberry Cobbler ice cream, but damnit, I want my rhubarb!! The vanilla bean base was superb. The hallmark of a good vanilla is vanilla flavoring that complements and does not overwhelm the cream of the base, and Sweet Me has nailed this balance. The vanilla was warm and rich, enhancing the dairy base.


The cobbler pieces were large and I got one approximately every two bites. They were delicately buttery with just a hint of cinnamon, and Sweet Me nailed the crunchy/chewy texture of the perfect cobbler crust.

Alas, the swirl, which promised the only hint of rhubarb, didn't deliver. It was thick and prominent throughout the pint, it just didn't taste very prominently of rhubarb. I could tell it contained rhubarb because it had a slight tanginess that helped accentuate the strawberry flavor, but I wanted a truer, stronger rhubarb flavor as well.


I'm rating Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler šŸ¦šŸ¦/4 cones. It was actually very enjoyable, it just didn't quite deliver strawberry rhubarb as promised.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd