Edy's Twinkie

I was completely and utterly surprised by how much I enjoyed the Edy's and Hostess Twinkie ice cream collaboration, described as sweet butter cream ice cream with sponge cake pieces and a frosting swirl. I was expecting to simultaneously like the ice cream and be disgusted by it, as I am with actual Twinkies, but it was actually quite good!



The base tastes just like a Twinkie, but more concentrated. One thing that makes Twinkies kind of gross is that the cake is almost flavorless. I think it helps that the ice cream is not oily like the cakes. The butter in the base really stood out, and I honestly didn't realize until I tried the ice cream that Twinkies were going for a buttery flavor.


The sponge cake pieces were also 'Twinkie but better.' Twinkies are not very dense, but Edy's went with less airy cake pieces. It had a nice spongy texture and the sweet flavor of yellow cake.

I couldn't taste the frosting swirl as a separate element, but I could tell it contributed to the flavor of the base. The frosting gave the front of the flavor profile a high, pure sweetness that faded into a deeper butter flavor.


I'm giving this 🍦🍦.5/4 cones! If it weren't a Twinkie ice cream I don't think it would be that remarkable, but they did manage to improve the Twinkie while still honoring the original source material.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comparison Post: Haagen-Dazs Vanilla vs Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean

Nestle Drumstick, The Original Sundae Cone

Ben and Jerry's Netflix and Chill'd